Sunday, November 23, 2008

Joyce Country Ceilli Band - An essay.

Ah, that classic Saw Doctors tune. A song that I have banned myself from listening to in public places. For shame? No. I save that guilt for Blue: Greatest Hits, for fear that the funky beats of All Rise would be overheard on the Luas. I can't listen to this song in public on my own because it causes me to grin like an ADD-adled child in a Haribo factory. Its comedic gold, and unintentionally so. It pretty much encompasses many of the things I love about El Fracka, where I call home. You know you've had a good night out when they spin this one.

Saw Doctors rise above Poet Laureate standards in their use of alliteration of the letter 'h'. So much so, it even finds its merry, bogger way into every second word, regardless of whether or not it belongs. Also, coining a whole new phrase, which deserves the same recognition as supercallafragilisticexpealladocious. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA. You can even get it as a ringtone, the very pinnacle of success.

"We do do's and functions/Weddings and wakes/Meats and salads/Buns and cakes" - if know of any other piece of work that rhymes wakes with cakes, please point me in the right direction. Same goes for anyone that can sing about a nice bit o' haaaam and a shimple aul bit o' shalad.

The breed of men to be found in The Renvyle Inn (from days gone by.... *sigh*) and Nimmo's (aka Club JC - Connemara's only nightclub is named after an old, fat, balding politician that owns every second business in the area. Its no Chinawhite.) is... how do I put this delicately? Um... awful. No offence, but I can't say I'm overly worried by causing it in this case. Yet somehow, this song makes the general bogger-man mating displays seem coy and endearing. Dare I say? Romantic, even:
"There’s a princess on the floor all night
She can fairly throw them shapes alright
Howya bridie are you on you own?
Howya fixed far a seat back home"

"Playing away and we're doing grand. If we're singing and song, won't you give us a hand?" Ahhra, kerishhhht. I will.

Saw Doctors... Thank you. Although I would also be quite grateful if you quit doing the Sugababes cover. It creeps me out a little, but I do hate myself for it.

No comments: